I got on a Nigella Lawson kick recently. I felt I was in a rut with cooking and wanted to do some new things. Also, Dave and I had recommitted to our Paleo eating, so I wanted to have some new, tasty meals that did not involve grains or pasta.
The Origianl Recipe which is Spanish Roast Chicken with Potatoes and Chorizo can be found here. However, since the Dave and the kids are not fans of chicken thighs, and white potatoes are not Paleo; (I don’t think Chorizo is either, but its really used as a condiment-so its not bad), adjustments had to be made.
So, here is Roast Chicken with Root Vegetables and Chorizo
Roast Chicken With Root Vegetables and Chorizo (Serves 4)
2 Bone in Chicken Breasts
2 links Chorizo
3 Cups Chopped Root Vegetables
1 big red onion, Chopped
2 T Oregano
Salt and Pepper
1. Heat oven to 425
2. Chop the root veggies into uniform sizes (I used turnips, sweet potatoes, new potatoes, and sunchokes) and place them in the bottom of a roasting pan so they will all be in one layer, add chopped chorizo.
3. Drizzle veggies with oil, salt, pepper, 1 Tablespoon Oregano, and toss so everything is coated
4. Place Chicken Breasts on top of veggies, drizzle with oil, sprinkle with Salt, Pepper and remaining oregano
5. Cover with foil and bake on bottom rack for 30 minutes,
6. Uncover, stir veggies and cook on upper rack for another 30 minutes or until Chicken is cooked through and veggies are tender.
This made a little more than 4 servings since the kids are not a fan of roasted root veggies, although Alex liked the Chorizo. However, I will add some red bell pepper to the leftover veggies and make home fries with them as an accompaniment to tomorrow’s pork chops. I also had a little chicken left over, which I will stir fry or use to make quesidillas for the kids.
Can’t wait to make this. Yum!