One of Dave’s favorite dishes is pulled pork. When we go out to eat, he usually orders a pulled pork sandwich and when I bring in BBQ, he is always happy to get a container of it.
I have tried making it at home before, but without much success. The pork would be tough or the sauce would taste burnt. However, after doing some research on the internet, I found the way to make perfectly shredded pork. Once you start with this pork, you have many options. You can eat it plain, or shred it and simmer it with the sauce of your choice and have BBQ pork, Mexican Pork, Italian pork-its really your choice.
Pork Roast (I used a 2lb piece)
3/4 Cup Baby Carrots
4 cloves garlic, peeled
Onion Soup Mix
12 Oz Beer
Salt & Pepper
I used my 4 oz crock pot
(Note: use 12oz beer for every 2 pounds)
1. Salt and Pepper the Pork generously.
2. Heat Olive Oil in pan and brown pork on all sides (2-3 minutes per side)
3. While pork is cooking, place carrots in crock pot
4. Remove pork from pan, put in crock pot
5. Add a little more oil, put onions in pan and carmelize
6. About 1 minute before the onions are ready to come out, add the garlic
7. Pour onions and garlic over the pork
8. Put onion soup mix in pan and stir for one minute, add 1 bottle of beer
9. Bring beer to a boil and pour over pork.
10. Add chicken broth or beer until pork is 1/2 covered in liquid
11. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
With this you can be done. Pull out the pork, shred or slice and serve the pork and carrots with a salad and maybe some noodles.
Or you could then shred the pork with two forks and put the desired amount in a pan with the sauce of your choice (bbq, mole, tomato, picante) and warm through and then serve with rolls, tortillas, on pasta, wherever your imagination takes you.
We did BBQ Sauce and they were awesome. Also, the leftover later that week were even better than the original meal.